[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

What did I just ruin?

Hmm.  I didn't mention that the whole thing was wrapped in a combination of
functions and scripts and it never seemed to actually try to interact with
me at all.  I had intentionally set TERM=dumb so that any interaction could
be captured by script(1).

This is all because I'm a hobbyist with 6 (or so) computers running various
Ubuntu flavors, and I'm really sick of waiting around for updates, and then
wondering what happened with one of them because I can't remember what I
did on which one.  I want a record, because sometimes things go wrong and
I'd like to be able to post a query like I did to start this thread, in
which I quote the output of the update process.  I want defaults wherever
possible, because I can't think of a package where I use anything else.

Call me a grumpy old codger if you like.  There are times that's exactly
what I feel like.

Anyway in accordance with the above, I have scripts like
which calls functions (from .bash_aliases) to set up script and redirect
output to got-update-<timestamp>.script.  This gives me a record of what
happened.  I have quite a collection of such scripts which remind me what
to install when it's time to go to the next LTS. because I always to a
fresh install to a new partition.  I create new home directories in that
partition so that config files match the OS that I boot.  All data files
are in a mountable partition and some of its directories get mounted onto
the home partition.  That way the data is available to any OS version, but
the dotfiles are specific.

Then along comes the occasional package that wants to interact with me a
half-hour after I started the installation and I'm off having supper.  Or
asleep.  I then grumble about arrogant software.

Feel free to point out the error of my ways.  Or ask for copies of my
scripts.  Whichever.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 7:31 AM, Colin Watson <cjwatson at> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 08:37:43PM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > I was about to upgrade packages and I wanted to capture the plethora
> > of messages I expected this to produce, so I did it under script(1).
> > It captured all right, but I'm a bit worried by a thing it captured a
> > few times...
> >
> > For instance, at the end of fetching packages....  it's got a problem
> > with Dialog (whatever that is) and it's not clear that its workaround
> > worked.
> >
> > -- Get:75 xenial-updates/main amd64
> > ntp-doc all 1:4.2.8p4+dfsg-3ubuntu5.9 [1,169 kB]
> > Get:76 xenial-updates/main amd64
> rfkill
> > amd64 0.5-1ubuntu3.1 [8,530 B]
> > Fetched 281 MB in 37s (7,395 kB/s)
> > debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
> > debconf: (Dialog frontend will not work on a dumb terminal, an emacs
> shell
> > buffer, or without a controlling terminal.)
> > debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
> Everything is fine.  This message is informational, and for your
> purposes you can ignore it.
> (The full-screen Dialog frontend that might in some cases be used to ask
> questions during installation would be pretty ugly in script(1) output,
> so you're probably better off with the Readline frontend in this case
> anyway.)
> --
> Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson at]
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users at
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Please consider the environment before printing this email.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/gif
Size: 441 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <>