codehaus


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[all][tc] Planning for dropping the Python2 support in OpenStack


 ---- On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 06:59:19 -0500 Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote ----
 > On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 19:40 -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
 > > On 19-10-29 14:53:11, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
 > > >  ---- On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 14:32:03 -0500 Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com> wrote ----
 > > >  > Hello Everyone,
 > > >  > 
 > > >  > We had good amount of discussion on the final plan and schedule in today's TC office hour[1].
 > > >  > 
 > > >  > I captured the agreement on each point in etherpad (you can see the AGREE:). Also summarizing
 > > >  > the discussions here. Imp point is if your projects are planning to keep the py2.7 support then do not delay
 > > >  > to tell us. Reply on this ML thread or add your project in etherpad. 
 > > >  > 
 > > >  > - Projects can start dropping the py2.7 support. Common lib and testing tools need to wait until milestone-2.
 > > >  >    ** pepe8 job to be included in openstack-python3-ussuri-jobs-* templates - 
 > > > https://review.opendev.org/#/c/688997/
 > > >  >    ** You can drop openstack-python-jobs template and start using ussuri template once 688997 patch is merged. 
 > > >  >    ** Cross projects dependency (if any ) can be sync up among dependent projects. 
 > > >  > 
 > > >  > - I will add this plan and schedule as a community goal. The goal is more about what all things to do and when.
 > > >  >    ** If any project keeping the support then it has to be notified explicitly for its consumer. 
 > > >  > 
 > > >  > - Schedule: 
 > > >  >  The schedule is aligned with the Ussuri cycle milestone[2]. I will add the plan in the release schedule also. 
 > > >  >  Phase-1: Dec 09 - Dec 13 R-22 Ussuri-1 milestone
 > > >  >   ** Project to start dropping the py2 support along with all the py2 CI jobs.
 > > >  >  Phase-2: Feb 10 - Feb 14 R-13 Ussuri-2 milestone
 > > >  >   ** This includes Oslo, QA tools (or any other testing tools), common lib (os-brick), Client library.
 > > >  >   ** This will give enough time to projects to drop the py2 support.
 > > >  >  Phase-3: Apr 06 - Apr 10 R-5 Ussuri-3 milestone
 > > >  >   ** Final audit on Phase-1 and Phase-2 plan and make sure everything is done without breaking anything.
 > > >  >       This is enough time to measure such break or anything extra to do before ussuri final release.
 > > >  > 
 > > >  > Other discussions points and agreement:
 > > >  > - Projects want to keep python 2 support and need oslo, QA or any other dependent projects/lib support:
 > > >  >   ** swift.  AI: gmann to reach out to swift team about the plan and exact required things from its dependency
 > > >  >        (the common lib/testing tool).
 > > > 
 > > > I chated with timburke on IRC about things required by swift to keep the py2.7 support[1]. Below are
 > > > client lib/middleware swift required for py2 testing.
 > > >  @timburke, feel free to update if any missing point.
 > > > 
 > > > - devstack. able to keep running swift on py2 and rest all services can be on py3
 > > > - keystonemiddleware and its dependency
 > > > - keystoneclient and openstackclient  (dep of keystonemiddleware)
 > > > - castellan and barbicanclient
 > > > 
 > > > 
 > > > As those lib/middleware going to drop the py2.7 support in phase-2, we need to cap them for swift.
 > > > I think capping them for python2.7 in upper constraint file would not affect any other users but Matthew Thode can
 > > > explain better how that will work from the requirement constraint perspective. 
 > > > 
 > > > [1] 
 > > > http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-swift/%23openstack-swift.2019-10-28.log.html#t2019-10-28T16:37:33
 > > > 
 > > > -gmann
 > > > 
 > > 
 > > ya, there are examples already for libs that have dropped py2 support.
 > > What you need to do is update global requirements to be something like
 > > the following.
 > > 
 > > sphinx!=1.6.6,!=1.6.7,<2.0.0;python_version=='2.7'  # BSD
 > > sphinx!=1.6.6,!=1.6.7,!=2.1.0;python_version>='3.4'  # BSD
 > > 
 > > or
 > > 
 > > keyring<19.0.0;python_version=='2.7'  # MIT/PSF
 > > keyring;python_version>='3.4'  # MIT/PSF
 > on a related note os-vif is blocked form running tempest jobs under python 3
 > until https://review.opendev.org/#/c/681029/ is merged due to 
 > https://zuul.opendev.org/t/openstack/build/4ff60d6bd2f24782abeb12cc7bdb8013/log/controller/logs/screen-q-agt.txt.gz#308-318
 > 
 > i think this issue will affect any job that install proejcts that use privsep using the required-proejcts section of the
 > zuul job definition. adding a project to required-proejcts sechtion adds it to the LIBS_FROM_GIT varible in devstack.
 > this inturn istalls it twice  due to https://review.opendev.org/#/c/418135/ . the side effect of this is that the
 > privsep helper script gets installed under python2 and the neutron ageint in this case gets install under python 3 so
 > when it trys to spawn the privsep deamon and invoke commands it typically expodes due to dependcy issues or in this case
 > because it failed to drop privileges correctly.
 > 
 > so as part of phase 1 we need to merge https://review.opendev.org/#/c/681029/ so that lib project that use required-
 > projects to run with master of project that comsume it and support depends-on can move to python 3 tempest jobs.

Thanks for raising this. I agree on not falling back to py2 in Ussuri, I approved 681029. 

-gmann

 > 
 > 
 > > 
 > 
 > 
 >