Re: Optimizing for connections

RE #2, some have had good results from having coordinator-only nodes:
https://www.slideshare.net/DataStax/optimizing-your-cluster-with-coordinator-nodes-eric-lubow-simplereach-cassandra-summit-2016

Assuming finite resources, it might be better to be certain you have good token awareness in your application and use those extra nodes in the main cluster, however.